The Sister to Sister: Everyone Has A Heart Foundation, Inc was founded in 2000 to increase awareness about women's heart disease and to encourage heart-healthy lifestyles among women. Sister to Sister is the only national organization whose focus is screening women for heart disease, the number one killer of women.
Sister to Sister, a national grassroots nonprofit organization, exists solely to bring free heart disease screenings and "heart-healthy" prevention information and support to all women in order to prevent heart disease, the number one killer of women today.
How We Work
To fulfill our mission, Sister to Sister assumes a national leadership role from across the nation to ensure that heart disease in women of all ages, races and socioeconomic backgrounds is prevented or detected early by conducting the following activities:
Screening opportunities for heart disease risk factors in all women of all ages, races and socioeconomic backgrounds
Information through seminars, speakers, exhibits, fitness events and cooking demonstrations
Support and encouragement from women helping other women
True partnerships with companies that sponsor health fairs and encourage their female employees' participation
Empowering women to "take charge" of their lives by making lifestyle changes that will reduce their risk of heart disease
Researching women screened at our health fairs to show that screening saves lives - more than one-third of the women screened, even though they believed they were healthy, were found to be at risk for heart disease
Sister to Sister was founded in 2000 on the premise of women helping other women. Through our National Woman's Heart Day campaign, it is our hope that women will encourage their mothers, sisters, daughters, friends, and coworkers to get screened for heart disease and learn a healthy lifestyle.
What We've Done
This past February we were in twelve cities and in 2006 we'll be in more!
What We've Learned
Over a third of the 10,000 women we have screened have discovered that they are at-risk for heart disease.
Who We Are
Board of Directors
- Irene Pollin, M.S.W., President and Founder
- Deborah Epstein, Vice President
- Terry Lierman, Chairman of the Board
- Steven Epstein, Founder, Epstein, Becker & Green, P.C.
- Wanda K. Jones, Dr. P.H., (ex-officio), Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- Celia Maxwell, M.D., F.A.C.P., Assistant Vice President, Health Affairs, Howard University
- Judith McHale, President and Chief Executive Officer, Discovery Communications, Inc.
- Susan O'Malley, President, Washington Sports & Entertainment
- Abe Pollin, Chairman, Washington Sports & Entertainment
- Tina Sharkey, Senior Vice President, Network and Community Programming, America Online, Inc.
- Esther Sternberg, M.D., Director, Integrative Neural Immune Program, National Institute of Mental Health
- Diane Simmons Williams, Vice President, Administration, Versura, Inc.
- Harold Zirkin, President, Zirkin-Cutler Investments, Inc.
- Dean Stumvoll, National Director, Washington National Tax, Deloitte
Chief Executive Officer
- Nancy Rosen, B.S, M.S., Ph.D.
National Woman's Heart Day Campaign
- Donna Henderson, Director
- Jarrett Fischer, Assistant Director
Chief Medical Advisor
- Lori Mosca, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D., Director, Preventive Cardiology, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Medical Advisory Council
- Pamela Peeke, M.D., M.P.H.
- Harvey Fineberg, M.D., Ph.D., President, Institute of Medicine
- Elsa-Grace Giardina, M.D., Professor, Clinical Medicine, Columbia University, Department of Medicine; Director, Center For Women's Health, Columbia University Medical Center
- Marianne Legato, M.D., F.A.C.P., Founder and Director, Partnership for Gender-Specific Medicine
- Rudolph L. Leibel, M.D., Professor of Pediatrics and Medicine, Head Division of Molecular Genetics; Co-Director, Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center
- Claude Lenfant, M.D., former director, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health; President, World Hypertension League
- Lori Mosca, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D., Director, Preventive Cardiology, New York Presbyterian Hospital; Associate Professor of Medicine, Columbia University
- Rosalie Sagraves, Pharm.D., F.A.P.H.A., F.C.C.P., Dean and Professor, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Maureen Bunyan, ABC News Anchor
- Jane Chesnutt, Editor-in-Chief, Woman's Day Magazine
- Neica Goldberg, M.D., Chief, Cardiac Rehabilitation and Prevention
- Naomi Post Street, President, Post Street Consulting
- Epstein, Becker & Green, P.C.
Sister to Sister: Everyone Has A Heart Foundation, Inc.
4701 Willard Ave., Suite 223
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
Toll Free: 877-718-8033